TIME MANAGEMENT IN MATHS EXAM
“I knew answer for all questions but I did not get sufficient time to answer”. These are the words students usually utter once they comeout of the exam hall! Some students even say “ I knew every thing but i had written only for 80-90 marks” . Some students may write only for 50-60marks, even if they are prepared very well. Why this happens ? how this happens ? can it be avoided?
These can be avoided (100%) just by proper time management and by selecting the proper questions
Scoring in exam depends not only on your preparation but also on your mind set, time management, proper selection of questions and precise answering.
Now here are some advice to students
DURING THE EXAM DAY:
Arrive at the exam center 30 minutes early. Find your register number, the allotted room .Compose yourself. Consciously relax and take a few deep breaths. Think of your reward after the EXAM is completed. Be confident! Think positively
1. Remember ,,, P.U. Department has given an opportunity to select proper questions with out wasting your 180 minutes, by providing extra 15 min for reading the question paper. In this 15 min of time go through the question paper and gauze or identify the easy questions which can be solved in lesser time . .while doing this dont write or mark anything on the question paper except your register number.
2. Start looking at the question paper from question no 1. DECIDE the question IN WHICH U R CONFIDENT OF ANSWERING AND also decide about the questions which u cannot answer. Solve the problems for which you know the answers partially at the end.
3. Here I have given avg time for attending each question but you may follow other known methods also. But the questions in which u r confident should be solved in less time ( say for attending 5 mark question u may need 5-6 min but it should be solved with in 4 min) so,remaining time can be utilized to try some lengthy or known questions
Here is for you for management of time
Weightage to expected time for each question –
|sl no||FORM OF QUESTION||MARKS||EXPECTED TIME||NO OF QUESTIONS
TO BE WRITE IN EXAM
|EXPECTED TOTAL TIME|
|1||LONG ANSWER TYPE (LA)||6M||8MIN||2M||16MIN|
|2||ESSAY TYPE QUESTIONS||5M||6MIN|
|3||ESSAY TYPE QUESTIONS||3+2||7MIN||8||48 OR 56 MIN|
|5||SHORT ANSWER TYPE||2M||4MIN||10+2=12||48MIN|
|6||VERY SHORT ANSWER||1M||2MIN||10||20MIN|
|TOTAL||152 OR 160 MIN|
PART A: (1 MARK): MAX TIME: 15-20MINUTES(TEN QUESTIONS)
PART B: (2 MARK): MAX TIME: 40 MINUTES(ANY TEN QUESTIONS)
PART C: (5 MARK): MAX TIME: 56 MINUTES( EIGHT QUESTIONS)
PART D: (10 MARK): MAX TIME: 26 MINUTES(ANY TWO)
PART E: (10 MARK): MAX TIME: 18 MINUTES (ANY ONE)
TOTAL: MAX TIME: 160 MINUTES OUT OF 180 MINUTES
So you have 20 -30 minutes left if u complete problems in the above method.after finishing answering of all required known questions, go through it rapidly.then in the remaining time you can attend extra questions either in part B or in Part C (where you have doughts) or other wise you can revise and recheck the answered one once again.
There are many students who will able to complete all prescribed questions within two hour.
7. It always better to attend questions on proof( provided u know well), in sub groups, circles, conics , complex number, vectors,) and It is better to avoid questions which is having figure in circles and conics to save time . Remember u r sketch should be clear. you will get ZERO if u don’t write the figure especially in derivations in conic section and circles.
For example: In part D if u have questions on a) derivation in conic section b)problem on application of differentiation c) problem on complex numbers , It is better to choose b and c instead a
8.If they asked the questions of type differentiate cosecx, secx, tan-1x, cot-1x, and other inverse t functions (IN MY VIEW , ACUTALLY QUESTIONS on DIFFERENTIATING INVERSE FUNCTIONS FROM FIRST PRINCIPLES SHOULD NOT BE ASKED AS PER RECENT SYLLUBUS, STILL SOME ARE ASKING ABOUT SUCH QUESTIONS FOR JUST 3 MARKS ,) In that case it is better to leave differentiate from 1st principle , attempt some other question( from choice,if u know) as it time is consuming, if don’t know any other then u have to attend it.
9. Now take up the questions u know how to do but it take little time to think and solve ,attempt those questions now and if u don’t get the exact solutions just think for 1 min and leave that question and attend other question. don’t waste u r valuable time in solving single unknown problem
10. Don’t change u r plan at any cost that to in exam hall, which may lead u to confusion
11.If possible , Day before the exam take 2-3 question paper ( take 2march, 1July supplementary exam)and allot 15 min of time and select the questions as stated above (no need to solve the paper just to practice).
12.On the exam day after u wake up imagine u r self as a good math teacher and say with confidence that , in exam i will solve the questions that i have studied.
TRY TO FOLLOW ABOVE METHOD IF U LIKE
WISH U A HAPPY PROBLEM SOLVING